Re: [stella] compiler?

Subject: Re: [stella] compiler?
From: Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 06:13:45 -0700 (PDT)
Yea, I realize that functionality would be really
limited.  The reason I want to do it, though, is just
to see if it's possible to abstract any of the
hardware restrictions of the system itself.

What I was thinking would be cool was more of a 'test
compiler' at first - one that maybe would let the user
declare an arbitrary number of 8x8 'sprites' and
nothing else - ok maybe a symmetrical background too.
The fact that you can really only have two of these
'sprites' (player objects) on a line would be
completely abstracted from the user.  Of course, in a
finished program, it would be painfully obvious (due
to the flicker) what happens when you do put, say, 8
sprites on a line at once. :)  But the point is that
the higher-level language would abstract that from the
user.  That, I think, would be a milestone in-and-of
itself.

Ben