Re: [stella] Adventures in cart building

Subject: Re: [stella] Adventures in cart building
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:09:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Chris Wilkson wrote:

> Heh...
> #69 on my VCS Project list:  get video ram working.  Audio would be much
> simpler, of course.

Yeah... I was mostly joking about that anyway, putting video chips into a
cart. It would have been a cool thing for a company to do back in the 80's,
but not something I'd seriously do as a hobbyist. Even if I got the thing
designed, it'd cost a fortune to make them, and the program for it would
be useless without it. Also, if I wanted to use a framebuffer, there's always
the Atari 1200XL up in the attic :)

> > I'm not familiar with these PLDs... what's a good example of this kind of
> > chip?
>
> Try doing a Google search for "palce22v10 datasheet".  It'll get you started.

Ah, thanks.

> Yep, that's all good.  But really, all you need is 2 8-bit registers and
> a quad 2-to-1 mux chip to build a parallel port cart dumper.  And the cart
> port of course.  Then it just becomes an exercise in writing QBasic drivers.

qbasic?? *shudder*

I'd use perl if I were in a hurry, C if I were doing it for work :)
But then I'm doing everything in Linux, except running z26.

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-