Re: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide

Subject: Re: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 13:53:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> At 03:48 AM 9/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:
> >Hmm, 1x1 GIFs of the right color, scaled to fit a table cell, might work
> >better for this. There are still some people using browsers that don't do
> >colored table cells (Netscape 3.0, which I use on my laptop, doesn't).
>
> Wow, I didn't know anyone was still using a browser that old these
> day.  Even WebTV supports table cell background colors.
>
> Is it a speed issue?  Opera would work okay on lower specced systems.
>
> It's just that 128 1 pixel gifs take a long time to create and open up a
> ton of needless HTTP connections.  Is it really necessary to set the bar
> that low?

Er, hrm. 128 HTTP connections... you're right, and I'm brain-dead. I was still
thinking in terms of looking at it locally...

Did I ever mention I'm not a web designer? :)

But, why would colored table cells be better than a JPG image with all the
colors? With the table cells, you're trusting the browser's color pallette.
I've heard that different browsers do not necessarily display the same hex
triplet the same way.

Of course, with a jpeg, you're trusting the color & tint knobs on the user's
monitor... same with a TV picture though.

Ugh. I've actually seen a jpeg of the Stella color pallette on a web page,
now if I could only remember where...

B.

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-