Re: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide

Subject: Re: [stella] HTML version of Stella Programmer's Guide
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:48:48 -0700
At 01:53 PM 9/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:
But, why would colored table cells be better than a JPG image with all the
colors? With the table cells, you're trusting the browser's color pallette.

GIF would be better than JPEG. JPEG is really for photographs.

As far as using a single tall image, it would be harder to line it up in a table with text next to it that way.

I've heard that different browsers do not necessarily display the same hex
triplet the same way.

Haven't heard that.

There was once the issue of "web safe colors" and the windows palette. That was really only an issue back in the days of 8-bit graphics cards. It's totally irrelevant today.

Of course, with a jpeg, you're trusting the color & tint knobs on the user's
monitor... same with a TV picture though.

With only 128 colors, there is enough "spread" between the hues that you get a pretty decent guess at the color even given the variations on monitor settings, if you use the palettes that the emulators have evolved into using. Like if you want to pick a blue, there is only, I think, one set of blues in the 2600 so unless your tint is wildly out of whack (which tends not to be the case with VGA monitors unless they are really old) you'll find the right color settings. I find swatches more useful than the word-descriptions of colors in the stella guide.

RGB vs. NTSC does result in differences in the look, most notably in the contrast or gamma, but we're talking about reasonable approximations here.

-