[stella] OT: PDF stuff

Subject: [stella] OT: PDF stuff
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:10:44 -0400
At 07:53 PM 9/18/01 -0500, Mark De Smet wrote:
>I don't know the full answer to your question, but I can add a bit of
>info.  First, you need the correct version of adobe software.  The
>standard acrobat reader can only read files, not create.  This is how
>adobe makes it's money: read free, creator very expensive.  I don't have

Actually, Distiller's basic functionality is really easy to duplicate in
free software.  Check out www.ghostscript.com.  I have a good deal of
experience using it to deliver PDF's on the fly.  Like Distiller, it takes
Postscript as input, but will output not only PDF but almost any raster
format (or it'll send it to your printer.)  It is an incredibly useful tool
and the things you can do with it have seldom failed to amaze me.

There's also a win32 GUI for the command line shy, but it requires you use
the not-quite-as-free version of Ghostscript (still open source, free for
personal use, pay up for commercial use.)  Finally, while I can't find it
now, there's at least one web-based PS to PDF converter out there.

FYI, Acrobat's "full version" is actually just called "Adobe Acrobat".  It
lets you do things like add input fields and Javascript code to your PDF's,
but of course then your PDF requires the latest version of Acrobat to work
right and is vulnerable to Outlook-style virus exploits.  The reader is
called "Adobe Acrobat Reader."

Rob

-