Re: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report

Subject: Re: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 16:10:06 -0400 (EDT)
Wow, lots of traffic on the v2 thread... I'm going to lump together my
replies instead of posting 5 or 6 separate messages:

> From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report
>
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, B. Watson wrote:
>
> > Hmm. Do you mean we should gradually get rid of the v1 guide content?
> > Or should we keep it, maybe clearly separated from the new stuff? Or do
> > we just add the new stuff & not make any distinction between new & old?
>
> I think it should be kept intact.  I like your idea of including it as
> an appendix to the new guide.
>
> -Chris

> From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report
>
> I think we should gradually get rid of the V1 content, assuming that
> everything in there can be presented in easier to understand terms, which I
> think it can.  It's really worded too technically.
>
> Instead of calling it v2 we can call it the Stellalist VCS Programmer's
> Guide instead.

> From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: Aw: Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report
>
> V1 should definitely survive as it is. For historical/preserving/original,
> and other reasons...
>
> Have V1 link to V2 and vice-versa. Clearly separated.

OK, that's one vote for getting rid of the V1 content, and two for keeping it.
I would vote for keeping it (as an appendix, anyway), but I'm biased since I
spent a lot of time making the HTML version, so I will abstain.

> From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
> Subject: Aw: Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report
>
>     [ The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]
>     [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set.  ]
>     [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]
>
> Hi Brian!
>
> > > 'VCS Programming in a nutshell' I'd completely rip
> > As long as it's not `VCS Programming for Dummies' :)
>
> :-)

Hrm, `VCS Programming in a Nutshell' would be a good title, assuming O'Reilly
doesn't mind... and they probably won't mind (they let Illiad call one of
his userfriendly collections `Evil Geniuses in a Nutshell').

> Take horizontal positioning for example. Just throw in there
> the explanation mails from Robert Colbert & Erik Mooney,
> put in Andrews actual version of the calculating alghorhythm
> and eriks version of the tabled approach.
>
> Done for the start. Later, when someone feels like doing so,
> he might merge all of this into a nice feature article.

I like the idea of condensing it into an actual article, a cohesive whole..
If someone just wants to read the emails, they could already use The Dig or
the biglist archive search...

> 28. Tools To Use/Know running on:
> 28.1 VCS
> 28.1.1 Both color selectors
> 28.1.2 Paddled Sound Utility
> 28.2.1 WIN/DOS
> 28.2.2 Thomas' Clone Finder & Sound finder
> 28.2.3 The VB Playfield designer
> 28.2.4 Eckhards graphics converters
> 28.2.5 DASM
> 28.2.6 DISTELLA
> 18.3 MAC
> 18.3.1 DASM
> 18.3.2 DISTELLA
> 18.4 X
> 18.4.1 DASM
> 18.4.2 DISTELLA
> 18.5 PERL
> 18.5.1 The PERL graphics converters

Actually, dasm and distella are the same on all 3 platforms... I've got a
partially-written DASM tutorial on my hard drive at home (not ready to go
on web page yet), that should cover it when it's done.

> 29. Setting up an developement environment on:
> 29.1 WIN/DOS
> 29.1.1 Textpad
> 29.1.2 Visual Studio
> 29.2 MAC
> 29.3 X

I'll finish the dasm tutorial tonite & probably start on section 29.3 too

> 31. Glossary

What would be fun, would be to make the glossary interactive... allow people
to add entries. This violates the idea of being able to host the v2 guide
anywhere though...

> From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report
>
> We might want to separate advanced stuff from a "tricks" section.  Some
> stuff I think classifies itself as a trick.

Hmmm. What distinguishes a trick from an advanced technique? Is it that
`advanced techniques' are something anyone would come up with on their own,
given time?

> From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report
>
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>
> > Instead of calling it v2 we can call it the Stellalist VCS Programmer's
> > Guide instead.
>
> I like this.  It's clear and to the point.
>
> -Chris

Maybe we should avoid using the word `guide' at all, since this seems to be
evolving into its own thing... `VCS Programming in a Nutshell' might be a
bad description, too (Nutshell books are usually heavily condensed reference
works, we're shooting for a tutorial)

Hmm. `Everything you always wanted to know about the VCS, and lots more you
didn't?'  :P

B.

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-