Aw: Re: [stella] Stella projects I wished to be finished...

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Stella projects I wished to be finished...
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 11:01:33 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Glenn!

> It's part of Stellalist's charter that code posted to the list is up for
> grabs by other programmers, although it's not like a GPL or anything.  We've

> all come to rely on "stealing" code here and there to put together our
> games.  Most games here contain some routines from other programs,
> especially How to Draw a Playfield. [...] The end result is still by
> and large the authorship of the programmer.
>
> I think this has the net effect of making our finished code better than it
> would otherwise be if we were not allowed to or not able to reuse code
> fragments from other programs.

I totally agree here. I wouldn't mind if other people would
use any _part_ of the Gunfight source in their projects.
In parts it already includes influences of other sources,
the Random Subroutine is the same as in 'QB', as well
as the positioning algorithm. I've adopted it to fit my
purpose, but it originated from there. The sound driver
originated from the 'Ship' demo, though I improved it for
my purposes. The kernel wouldn't be half as good without
Thomas help and the basic idea of how to do a destructable
playfield was derived from the original 'Outlaw' game. The
cowboy graphics are adapted from the C64 game 'High Noon',
the score font is the one from Starmaster and the music
was written by Johnny Cash.

But that's how we're working here, right?

Yet there's tons of original source in my game that
I've written 100% on my own and of which I'm very proud
of. That's the whole bullet management for example,
and the Bullet-Cowboy collision detection routine.
It's working perfect, even though I don't use the
hardware collission routines at all. The AI stuff is
mine. The score display was written from scratch.
The complete cowboy animation engine is mine.

In fact I modified everything for my purposes,
so standing on it's own feet I can claim it 'My Game'.

> I don't think anyone would try to
> outright plagiarize an entire game.

Stealing a complete game is another topic of course.
Nobody would like to have other people selling his
work.

As for my suggestion that someone should continue
the abandoned projects in the archive, that meant
of course asking the original author first if
it'd be OK and/or really just taking it as a base
and evolve those into something own.
Like Joe did with Pieros code in SCSISIDE... Stuff like that...
that's why we're here, or?

Greetings,
     Manuel

shopping24 - Ihr Einkaufsparadies im Internet. Stöbern Sie nach
Herzenslust in Millionen von Produkten unserer 30 Partnershops.
http://www.nexgo.de/c/pub/redir.php/shopping1

-