[stella] DASM feature request

Subject: [stella] DASM feature request
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 13:33:19 -0700
<<
DASM will let you use either format. the 2nd example you gave, the only thing
DASM pays attention to are the `.byte $40' `.byte $20' etc. The rest of each
line is just a comment (from the semicolon on).

I really-really wish someone would recompile DASM so that it supported something like this:

SpaceShip
.byte @XXXX....
.byte @.XXX....
.byte @.XXXXXXX
.byte @.XX.XXX.
.byte @.XXXXXXX
.byte @.XXX....
.byte @XXXX....

I find this a lot easier to read than 1s and 0s. In this format, any non-dot character is a 1, and the dots are 0s. I think some hex/sector editors can represent data similar to this.

Here is the 0 and 1 version for comparison:

SpaceShip
.byte %11110000
.byte %01110000
.byte %01111111
.byte %01101110
.byte %01111111
.byte %01110000
.byte %11110000

Can you see how the . and X yields better contrast than 0 and 1? It's really easy to miss that 0 in the middle of the ship with 0s and 1s.