Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie

Subject: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:42:52 -0400
10/17/2001 3:24:47 PM, Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Erik Mooney wrote:
>
>> This is a GREAT technique for Supercharger-based games, since you
>> can rewrite the player graphic data to RAM within the same area of memory.
>> (Can this be done with Superchip or Megacart RAM? I think so...)
>

>Yeah, sure.  Megacart RAM doesn't care what you do to it.  (*) As long as
>it's one of the current banks, it's just more RAM to play with.  I believe
>Superchip RAM is the same except that it's always switched in.

Actually, the concern is that the technique requires +/- 384 consecutively
addressable bytes of RAM.  The Superchip doesn't have that much, although
you might be able to pull it off in a two-line kernel that didn't use the entire
screen vertically (think Defender).  How does Megacart distinguish RAM
read/write?  It would have to be a fairly high-order address line (A9-A11)
for this to work.

>(*)  Don't set the RAM on fire, or subject it to nuclear reactions, but
>otherwise....????

Aww, c'mon, VCS hardware is legendary for its indestructibility :)

-