Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 17:24:02 -0700

A command-line switch (maybe -i) that tells DASM to allow illegal opcodes? The
default would be plain old DASM, no illegal opcodes allowed, and the -i would
cause DASM to use Thomas's list of illegal opcodes (which is better than mine).
<<

The command line approach wouldn't be universal, however, because not all processors support them. Doesn't DASM support the 65802 and 65816? The illegal opcodes only occur in the 6502 proper, do they not? Do they also occur even on the 65C02? Or maybe there are different illegal opcodes for all these processors? If they all have illegals, then a switch might make sense.

But to me, the processor directive should indicate the legal instruction set, not a command line switch. The only question is whether to always allow illegal opcodes when you do "processor 6502" or not. If you want to turn it off, I happen to prefer another processor directive, like 6502i (for illegal) where the default 6502 is off, or 6502s (for strict) if the default 6502 has illegal opcodes. It's not THAT much of a pain to have to touch up old sourcecode to make it reassemble.