Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:18:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001 cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:

(in re: reverse/revend)
> > I think it would suffice to say that the feature isn't needed (IMHO).
> > You still have to enter the code/graphics, in this case "right side up".
>
> I think it'd be a more useful feature than 90% of what is already in.
> I'd use it and I'd love to have it.
>
> I'm saying that with having turned graphics more often
> than I did most other nasty tasks...

That was what I was thinking, too.

> So that feature definitely gets my vote, as well as the
> idea for a special graphics format in general.
>
> If someone fears a feature overkill in DASM, I can point
> out enough other useless stuff that can be removed
> in exchange for these two brill things.

Nothing's useless if you figure out a use for it... besides which, the new
@...X...X graphics mode is only maybe 15-20 lines of code added. That and the
illegal opcodes together made my dasm binary grow from 78k to 86k, to me it's
worth it...

> What's that REPEAT/REPEND stuff worth for example?
> If you're using it, you're already doing something
> dead wrong... :-)

Tell you what it's good for: I've used it for messing with timing, with a
series of NOPs...

 repeat 5
 nop
 repend

then vary the number in the repeat, until you get it right. Now that you know
the number of NOPs needed, you can go back & replace it with some other code
that takes the same number of cycles... although as I learn more about the
hardware & timings, I find myself getting it right the first time more often.

Anyway I don't think we should be removing features... for all I know,
you can't live without repeat/repend on the 68HC11 or something :)

B.

-