Re: [stella] stellax and z26

Subject: Re: [stella] stellax and z26
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:22:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Ben Larson wrote:

> I've noticed a couple interesting things regarding
> StellaX vs. Z26 (other than the fact the colors look
> way different in the two of them).  Maybe these things
> aren't even really issues though...
>
> First it seems like neither of them really 'powers up'
> in a random state...wouldn't a real hardware VCS do
> this?  Z26 in particular seems to initialize RAM to
> '0'.  I'm thinking this could be a problem for a game
> which uses a random number generation register and
> expects the system to really power up in a random
> state.  For example, with the random number algorithm
> I use, if the random number generation register gets
> initialized to '0', then it stays at '0' forever.

Hm. Regular old Stella 1.1 seems to initialize memory to
random values... I don't know just how random, though.

> Also I noticed that StellaX, for some reason, will
> display luminances which are not multiples of 2 (for
> the playfield luminance at least)..in other words it
> seems to allow 16 luminances per color instead of 8.

Again, regular Stella 1.1 doesn't do this (I checked).

By StellaX I assume you mean the DirectX port of Stella...
I've never tried it (only z26 and PCAE on win/dos, stella
on Linux and Slowlaris). The Stella I'm talking about is the
one from stella.atari.org.

B.

-