Re: Aw: [stella] atari 2600 programming

Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] atari 2600 programming
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:55:32 +0100
Glenn Saunders wrote:
>  >>
> We are just expecting, that people should first invest some time searching
> for answers and then ask for *real* help.
> <<

> As list maintainer I have to say something on this point.

> I've seen similar tension over newbie questions on other lists, like the
> Lightwave 3D list.  Also experienced a burnout local Lightwave usergroup,
> mostly with the Toaster/Flyer people who had all been there done that.  In
> any list that goes on for any length of time, there will be repetition of
> topics.  What's old hat to some of you is totally new to the
> newbies.  Please respect that.

I do my very best. But sometimes it's hard... (And sometimes nearly
impossible, stop me if I'm getting arrogant here ;-)

> Somebody who teaches is going to repeat lessons many many times.  The
> teacher doesn't just point his students at a chapter in a book.  He
> lectures.

Maybe that's the reason why I never wanted to become a teacher :-)

And maybe because my teachers always wanted me to do a *lot* of
homework, now I'm somehow programmed that way...

> It's the new blood coming into the hobby that makes it new, not
> necessarily the information.

100% agreed.

> Trolling through the archives is dry and time-consuming.  You are stuck
> with whatever was in the archives.  You can't interact with it.  So you
> have to understand why people prefer to simply ask questions--so they can
> get a personalized response tailored to their needs.

To me it wasn't a dry task and I found it very interesting. I've always
tried to learn computing stuff myself. But maybe there's my problem: I'm
expecting this works for everybody.

> At some point people on this list migrate from learning over to
> teaching--or at least having enough knowledge to teach.  If somebody asks a
> question that has been asked many times, don't feel obligated to even
> respond if you don't want to.  There are over 100 people on this list so
> the odds of at least one person responding, even just to say "it's in the
> archives" is enough.

Ok, I think, I'll become a teacher for the more advanced classes and let
others help the newbies :-)

BTW: Actually there are about 200 subscribers (congratulations!) now, so
the chances are even better.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |