Re: [stella] modern video games, was Re: VBLANK or VSYNC first?

Subject: Re: [stella] modern video games, was Re: VBLANK or VSYNC first?
From: Greg Miller <gmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:37:40 -0500
jim crawford wrote:

I didn't choose Super Mario 64 as an example at random, though.
The simple act of making mario run and jump (and slide and dive
and swim and tiptoe) around the castle grounds is exhilarating
in and of itself, and the content simply adds to the
experience.  I can't say that about any other 3d-platformer
I've played.

I happened to try Tomb Raider before SM64, and that made SM64 rather disappointing by comparison. I agree that it's possible for designers to take advantage of the capabilities of current systems in ways that result in better games, but it's hard to find all that many that really do. Instead, we get long 3D demos with limited interactivity that almost nobody even bothers to finish.

I recall someone that Sony hired to take over their game division around the time the PS1 came along saying something along the lines of "Anyone who talks about interactive movies doesn't understand the first thing about interactivity or movies"... and that sums it up pretty well. I like content and I like gameplay, but it's rare to see them mix well.

Otherwise, my classic game systems would all be stuffed in a closet or sold. It's the quality of the gameplay that keeps me interested. I spend far more time playing Go (which consists of a grid and round black and white stones) than I do with all of my recent video games combined.

--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
   There is no peaceful solution to organized terrorist networks.

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/