Re: [stella] Programming Contest?

Subject: Re: [stella] Programming Contest?
From: Lee Krueger <resqsoft@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:18:11 -0700
Chad Schell wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been thinking about this for a while, but I'm just not sure how well
> it would actually work.  I'm considering holding a programming contest with
> the prize being a free Cuttle Cart.
>
> The contest would involve the creation of a 2600 game which uses the
> driving controllers.  You see, my all time favorite 2600 game is Race /
> Indy 500.  The Tag and especially hit the box games are just too much
> fun!  However, these poor controllers were otherwise ignored and I'd like
> to see them get used.  (I know, Bob Colbert's Stella Sketch used them, but
> that's not available anymore.)
>
> Anyway, I don't like writing games - so I'll never create a game that uses
> them.  So I figure this is possibly a way to get some more games out
> there.  However, because throwing together a 2600 game isn't trivial, I'm
> not sure how many people would actually enter or how long the contest would
> have to run to give people a chance.
>
> So I thought I'd ask the collection of people who do the most 2600
> programming.  Is such a contest worth holding?  Would anyone here be
> interested?  Would it help if hacked versions of current games counted,
> like Race with more courses, or tag on ice, or Gyruss with driving
> controllers etc?
>
> Anyway, please let me know what you think,
> Chad
> ============================================/

I'd like to see a couple of things using the driving controllers.

1. Enhanced Indy 500 with new tracks. I've been wanting this for a long time.
3. Demolition Derby where cars change color as damage is incurred. Make a 4
player adapter to play as teams or as 4 players independently.
2. SuperSprint modified to use the driving controllers.
3. Someone could do Paul Oswod's "The Core" - This sounded like a neat idea
for an original 2600 title.
4. A cricular breakout game for 1 or 2 players w/ power-ups

I think hacked games would be a good place to start. Maybe even worth the
prize.

BTW:
Doesn't Glenn have a head start on Death Race 2000 :- )
That sounds interesting as well.

My 2 cents.......

-Lee
--

ResQsoft Research & Technology: <http://home.earthlink.net/~resqsoft>
NorthWest Classic Games Enthusiasts <http://NWCGE.org>

"No Atari; no fun" <==> "Know Atari; know fun" /|\

"God, Please protect me from your followers."

-