Re: Aw: Re: [stella] OT: Programming, CS theory

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] OT: Programming, CS theory
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:58:44 +0100
Glenn Saunders wrote:
> If we're talking about syntax, what I dislike the most about assembly syntax
> vs. high level languages is how hard it is to visualize the differences
> between a plain old label and a subroutine.

> There is no "Function DrawScreen()" sort of syntax.  A label is a label is a
> label.

> So if you have a big subroutine it's hard to differentiate the natural
> startpoint from internal labels used by loops and branching stuff.

There is a solution, use SUBROUTINE! (DASM rocks!)
Now you can give all local labels a name starting with ".". Only the
subroutine labels and the extra startpoints get a normal name without
the point.
Now the code is much easier to read, look at my Pitfall! disassembly to
see what I mean.

> (An example of where this is used is in Manuel's horizontal positioning
> subroutine.  It seeks to a different startpoint for P0 vs. P1.)

> Plus it's hard to think about function parameters either, since there are no
> rules for how to pass parameters to assembly subroutines.  You can use the
> stack, use the registers, or use general RAM.

The best way, is to comment your code. Give every subroutine a comment
header where you describe the input and output parameters (registers,
variables and flags), and the functionality of course.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

-