Re: [stella] List guidelines

Subject: Re: [stella] List guidelines
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:20:43 +0100
Glenn Saunders wrote:
>Out of the ~200 members, there appears to only be a handful of
>people actively coding for the platform or offering advice to
>other coders.

I wish, there would be some more.

>Noncoders are, of course, welcome.

Sure!

>I'm more worried when a long time goes by
>WITHOUT anybody posting their code to the list!

Me too!

>Also, I think it's far more useful to post the complete
>sourcecode than to exchange code fragments in the body of
>Emails.  That way you can see the code in context with the
>entire program, and maybe catch other details elsewhere while
>reviewing.

It depends on the problem, sometimes it's hard to dig into
somebody elses code, because the code in question is mixed with
other code. Then a fragment is much easier to understand.

>I also prefer the attachments in the list instead of, let's
>say, an HTML link.  That way they get added to the overall
>Biglist archive, for posterity.

The archive rules! We should encourage everybody to use it.
So, a guidline I'd like to see, is: As a newbie, have a look
at the archives (or follow the list for a while) before
starting to ask questions.

>Stellalist really isn't here to entertain.

But often it really does :)

>I did not call a stop to the computer science thread because I
>think general computer science theory is highly relevant to
>any programming endeavor, including the 2600.  I know some
>people thought that was too off topic.  In my opinion it
>wasn't.

I liked that thread too, but when I feeled, it started to become
"religious" (=OT), I had to add my two cents.

>I also think generic game design theory is also highly
>relevant, or aesthetic discussions, because 2600 programming
>forces all of us to be the designers and the artists in
>addition to the programmers.

Yes, as long as it can somehow be linked to the 2600
programming. Discussions about i.E. high language (not DASM :-)
features won't help here at all.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

Keinen Jackpot mehr verpassen! Mit dem Dauerschein des WEB.DE Lottoservice.
Einfach und bequem Lotto tippen! http://tippen2.web.de/?x=4

-