Re: [stella] ...

Subject: Re: [stella] ...
From: "Erik J. Eid" <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 21:33:15 -0500
At 09:48 PM 10/29/01 +0130, Andrew Wallace wrote:
A couple of days ago I posted the bin of the current state of my game and asked a couple of questions, and surprisingly (well I was suprised), no responses were forthcoming. Was it something I said?

I doubt that at all. Given the level of activity in Stella, some of us are simply swamped trying to read through all of the messages. Also, that activity tends to be "streaky", with a lot of messages in a short time, followed by a few messages in a long time. We seem to be at a high level over the last couple of weeks. Add another factor of each of us taking care of the business of the rest of our lives and the time to devote to the list shrinks accordingly.

That said, we shouldn't leave a fellow list member and potential homebrew writer with no responses...

Graphically the game appears impressive. I like the use of many shades of color per object and many colors on the screen. It adds to the flow. I also like that the targets move at different speeds, though the jerky up-and-down motion could get obnoxious after a while.

Unfortunately, as Glenn Saunders pointed out, it does feel very similar to Demons to Diamonds right now. I do like that game, so it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not different enough to set it apart. There's also not the challenge of having to hold the trigger down for a certain amount of time to reach a certain part of the screen, or of shooting an object shortly after one is shot for more points, or of avoiding shooting certain ones.

In short, it's visually impressive, but there needs to be a bit more to the game than a standard horizontal shooting gallery. I'm sure that's coming in later versions.