Re: [stella] Re: Gunfight Release Candidate(s)

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: Gunfight Release Candidate(s)
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:02:29 +0100
> The tempo difference in the music is quite noticeable if you run the NTSC
> version and then the PAL version, but the game seems equally playable in
> either version. Maybe you should also create a 262 line PAL colours
version.

That might be a good idea. If you want to try out how the speed
is for the PAL version, you need to use the -5 switch in z26
to make PAL games run at 50Hz. Then you could speed up the
music and maybe some of the gameplay, if nessessary.

I haven't had much time to test the game yet, but one thing I noticed
was that you seem to have added the extra lines for PAL all at the end
of the frame. This is not a good idea, as this will make the display
appear at the very top of the TV screen. It's better to add half of the
lines to the VBLANK counter at the start of the frame. That way the
game screen will be centered on a PAL TV.

> A note about z26: the PAL colours are way off compared to a real PAL
setup.
> The colours in z26 are too pale and washed out.
> When running on the real thing the colours are just as vibrant as the NTSC
> colours.

I don't think they are that far off. Of course that depends on
how you have tuned your TV-set and your monitor. But if you
really think the colours in z26 are too inacurate, maybe you
could create a better palette for us. Maybe you could take a
screenshot of the second screen of the colour test program
(the one where you can see all 128 colours at once) and edit
the palette untill the picture looks like the display on
your TV.

Thanks, Eckhard Stolberg