Re: Z26, VSYNC, Timers, somebody HELP ME! (was: Re: [stella] Gunfight Release Candidate(s))

Subject: Re: Z26, VSYNC, Timers, somebody HELP ME! (was: Re: [stella] Gunfight Release Candidate(s))
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 20:33:28 +0100
> This might happen, since I'm just jumping into the reset
> routine, not really caring where I'm coming from.
>
> What does this behaviour do to the TV picture? A little
> one-frame-jump or something more severe? (Does it look
> unprofessional? :-))

Yes, it basically is just a one frame jump. But I think
it does look a bit unprofessional. You should avoid it,
if you can.

> #1 ...wouldn't a 262 lines PAL colored cartridge have
> the same running times as the NTSC one, i.e. play the
> music at the same speed? (Please say yes, or I fear my
> picture of the world is crumbling to dust...)

It would be almost the same, since the PAL VCS is running
at a slightly slower frequency. But the difference is so
small that you wouldn't be able to notice it.

I once tried Chris Cracknell's clock program on my
PAL VCS. And while he claims that it runs almost perfectly
on his NTSC system, the clock was loosing about 10 minutes
per day on my PAL system.

> If yes, so how many XX% of TVs are 'most'?
> Is any PAL game sold with only 262 lines and was there
> any negative feedback so far?

I don't know. As long as the game was doing a proper
sync signal, I never had a problem with 60Hz VCS games
on any of the TVs that I have access to. And those games
that gave me problems, usually also cause problems for
some people with NTSC setups.

> What should I do?

If you still have a free console switch left, maybe
you could make 50/60 Hz mode optional?

> My own TV can display 50/60 Hz too, but I experienced a
> flickering picture on a few NTSC cartridges as well. And
> I really don't want someone else to pay 16$ + shipping
> around the globe for a catridge that doesn't work...

Many homebrew authors don't even bother to create a
PAL mode/version at all. And I don't think Randy has
ever gotten complaints about that.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg