RE: [stella] Joystick Port Baud rate...

Subject: RE: [stella] Joystick Port Baud rate...
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:21:48 +0100
Hi Chris!

>Manual wants to make a MIDI interface for the 2600!  I
love it!!!!

>Am I right?  Am I right?

Well, almost. My name is spelled ManuEl :-)

To be more precise, I want to turn the 2600 into a MIDI
instrument, by providing a three-piece solution, with a
MIDI-IN port plugged into the joystick port and a
decoder cartridge for MIDI messages and some whatever-
thing that extracts the audio signal directly.

As far my calculations went, when feeding the ~32000
baud MIDI signal into the 2600, one'd have ~ 30 cycles
between two bits, which probably might allow direct
decoding & executing MIDI messages.

Since I'm no hardware guy at all, here's an idea to
provide 'A few cycles more'(Hehe) :

- Maybe it's possible to turn the serial MIDI signal
  into sort of a parallel one?

- Maybe I then could feed a whole byte at once into
  SWCHA by combinig both Joystick ports?

Does this make any sense to you hardware guys? :-)

Greetings,
	Manuel