[stella] Copy Protection

Subject: [stella] Copy Protection
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:14:09 -0800
At 04:22 PM 11/21/2001 +0100, you wrote:
I don't know, but after you have posted all the almost
finished beta versions here this seems pretty pointless.
Anyone who really wanted to hack your game without your
permission could just use a beta version and get almost
the same result.

Can anyone come up with a truly working copy protection scheme?

I can't really think of one. You could encrypt the game and have it decrypt itself on cart, but since the 2600 itself reads it unencrypted, something like the 7800 cart dumper would be able to read off the unencrypted ROM.

Getting the game to not work on the Supercharger or Cuttle Cart is fine, but it would still run on emulators. And yes, it could theoretically be patched to work.

You'd have to talk to the emulator authors to try to get them to block running certain games. But there are so many 2600 emulators you'd never get them all to agree to that.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc