Re: [stella] Copy Protection

Subject: Re: [stella] Copy Protection
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:49:19 +0100
Kevin Horton wrote:
> I say concentrate on programming, rather than some easily broken
> "protection" scheme.  Any scheme can and will be broken, and games patched
> to work.  Instead of trying to hamper legit users, why not put that energy
> into the game to make it that much better?

As far as I know, Manuel never wanted to implement a real *copy* protction into his game. He just wanted to prevent some hackers to turn his game into another (IMHO absolutely disgusting) Kabul-Bin-Laden version.

And while talking about this, Manuel and I had fun in thinking about new ideas that may prevent the average hacker to do so. We know, that it is impossible to do put an uncrackable software protection into a 2600 game, but it's very possible to stop those lamers. :)

> If you REALLY want to impress everyone and make an uncopyable cart, there
> is one good way to do it-- you design your own custom bankswitch / cart
> hardware.  This will not totally prevent people dumping it, but it will
> prevent playing of the game on emulators, and it will prevent copy carts
> from being made.  Bonus points for including things like real time clocks,
> savegame RAM, or similar on the cart :-)

I know, you like also doing hardware stuff. And others like doing software stuff (and I have no idea about hardware design), that's all.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

Lotto online tippen! Egal zu welcher Zeit, egal von welchem Ort.
Mit dem WEB.DE Lottoservice. http://tippen2.web.de/?x=5