Re: Re: [stella] Copy Protection

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] Copy Protection
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 09:09:59 -0800
At 12:28 AM 11/22/2001 -0600, you wrote:
We'll gladly fix this, we didn't know we had a beta version of your game.

In the long term I think there may be a need for some sort of authenticity program for Atari 2600 games.

Games should be registered through some central authority who will verify that they are the official image. Then some software has to notify the user when he hacked or beta version of a game.

The emulators use checksumming to identify ROMs in order to simplify configuration, not so much to verify authenticity.

Beyond the confusion with homebrew betas, years down the road when nobody is playing on the original hardware anymore, people may not be able to distinguish between the original Space Invaders and all the various hacks.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc