Re: Re: [stella] Copy Protection

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] Copy Protection
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 11:37:10 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I actually agree with this, up to a point.  I'm not sure who the central
authority should be, but I'd like to know even now, which ROM images
represent authentic original games.  In some sense, I consider the good2600
guy with his ROM renaming program to be the bad guy.  He's legitimized the
ROM hacks by putting them on the same level as the originals.  I think he's
doing a disservice to the 2600 community.

I'd like to see a utility that will go through a collection of ROM images,
restore the 8.3 filename that it was originally dumped under and then delete
the rest.  And maybe have an option of keeping the best of the modern games.
But this is a problem.  Who is to decide what is good?

John