Re: [stella] Copy Protection

Subject: Re: [stella] Copy Protection
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 17:53:21 -0800
At 04:29 PM 11/23/2001 -0800, you wrote:
At this point, any distinct Stella cart is a member of a small class.
There are probably less than a thousand distinct, completed
Stella programs which have ever been distributed to the public.

I think you are underestimating the difficulty of creating a game.

There have been many unfinished programs here on Stella, not because the programmers lacked technical ability, but because the ideas themselves were left unfinished.

Regardless of the difficulty factor, it still takes persistence on the part of the programmer to complete a project.

Not only that, but if the BAStella environment constrains what you can do on the 2600, it actually becomes a challenge to break out of those confines to give your game more uniqueness. It's like the 1800 bytes available to Bally Basic programmers. It's an artificial constraint imposed by the programming environment that in and of itself provides a challenge.

And I really don't think the classic gaming crowd will be that excited about a dozen tetris or breakout clones. The novelty of getting a new game done on the 2600 will wear off, yes, but that will only lead people to be more aware of these games' intrinsic quality (or lack thereof) and I see nothing wrong with that.

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment
Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698
Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc