Re: [stella] Poker Solitaire, build 00f

Subject: Re: [stella] Poker Solitaire, build 00f
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 22:12:02 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> At 06:29 AM 11/24/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >Find a use for the color/BW switch :)
> >         (hmm, it could toggle whether or not to score diagonals)
>
> I would use the select switch for all game variations.

Hmm,there actually could be several game variations for this, too. Matrix
could look like:

Bit 0 - on=score diagonals, off=don't
Bit 1 - on=royal flush 36, off=royal flush 30
Bit 2 - on=2-player, off=one player

Though I hadn't decided whether or not to actually bother with a 2-player
mode.. I'll have to actually find another human to play the 2-player version
with me, with a deck of cards, and see if it's even a decent game (seems
like it would be easy to mess up the other guy's hands, so you'd end up
with lots of 0-0 ties)

> Use the difficulty switches to handicap a player.

Er, not sure how to handicap.. alter the scoring? Start the game with
random cards in the center & corners? (I actually like that idea!)

Anyway, it's (probably) going to be a one-player only game, so what does
the right difficulty do... hrmmm.

> You may want to use the color/bw  for what it was intended to be.  Yeah,
> anachronistic, but authentic.

I may be able to work that in to the kernel, it'll eat one more byte of RAM,
but I've got something like 7 totally unused bytes left.

> Then you can add in the screensaver stuff that all old 2600 games use.

This also will eat one (or 2?) bytes of RAM. I'll have to look at Nick's
Combat disassembly & see how the attract mode works.. I once read on this
list that the attract mode can be done in 12 instructions (or was it 12 bytes?),
but haven't ever tried it myself.

Thanks for the ideas...

B.