Re: [stella] Farewell, StellaList

Subject: Re: [stella] Farewell, StellaList
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:14:15 +0100
Ben Larson wrote:
> I think John made some good points.  For one, it does
> seem like a lot of people have 'jumped on the
> bandwagon' so to speak, myself being one of the guilty
> parties I suppose. :)  But I don't necessarily see a
> problem with this, because I don't think most people
> (if anyone) is doing it to make money.  I
> mean...there's really not any money to be made when
> you consider maybe only 100 people will buy a given
> homebrew game on cartridge if you're lucky.

I think the problem of making money with it, might ruin the original homebrew market somehow.

It was, is und will be mainly a collectors market, and the very small players market will ge even smaller due to modified Superchargers and the Cuttle Cart. (BTW: Chad, is there a chance to recognize the Cuttle Cart?)

Most collectors don't care about the quality of a game at all. It's the package and the rarity that interests them. They like to keep the boxes unopened. If you want to make money, you have to suit their needs.

If you realy like programming for the 2600, but don't want to do a nice package and a lot of advertising, you will not sell much to them. The total sales of Thrust until now are 33 and Jammed did 9.

The best you can do, is to combine a good game with a good package (Qb), but the good game is not very essential for the sales.

The more people will realize that, the more badly done or so called "new" (hacked!) games will arise. And that's a very sad thing.

BTW: I have nothing against collectors, they help a lot to keep the 2600 alive. But I don't like the people who *only* want to make some quick money without bringing something new to the community.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |