Re: [stella] Poker solitaire source, versions 012 & 014

Subject: Re: [stella] Poker solitaire source, versions 012 & 014
From: Jake Patterson <jpatters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 04:23:12 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, B. Watson wrote:

> The shuffling problem isn't exactly intentional, but it's a known
> problem.  The trouble is that I store the cards as a byte each, 0-12
> being ace thru king of spades, 13-25 is ace-king of clubs, etc... and
> I'm initializing the cards in a simple loop that stores 0 to 52
> sequentially in the deck locations.  So the deck is in order before the
> shuffle..

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the current
implimentation.  When you play solitare with real cards, you have to
shuffle them by hand between each game.  The way you have it set up now,
you get a little of that between game "pause" feeling that you get with
real cards, but that you don't get with most computerized solitare games.
It would be a good thing to put in the printed manual, and maybe even tout
as a feature, that the user can control how much the cards are shuffled
(to an extent) by choosing how long to wait.

> For a proper `classic' feel, Select should be `select game variation',
> but I can't think of any more variations besides the 2 difficulty
> setting I have now... Suggestions?

Read the post I sent a couple of minutes ago... the one about the possible
reverse mode where a) half the spots would be filled randomly at start,
and b) points created in that initial deal are subtracted from the final.
It's stuff like that that would add lots of depth and replay value.