Re: [stella] damaging the VCS

Subject: Re: [stella] damaging the VCS
From: Kevin Horton <khorton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:19:11 -0500
At 11:10 11/29/01 -0800, you wrote:
At 11:41 AM 11/29/2001 -0500, you wrote:
This reminds me of the `POKE of Death' on the original CBM/PET
machines.. can't remember the details, but essentially, you could
fry the machine under software control..

We still haven't determined what would happen if you set the console switches register to output instead of input. Does anyone really think that would damage the 2600? I doubt it. There has got to be some form of electronic protection somewhere against that.

Heh, there is no protection against it, though I doubt it'd do any damage. The 6532 will get hotter than a pistol tho if you have console switches on and the port set to output trying to output a logic "1". (The switches pull to ground only) So it isn't recommended.