[stella] An exhostive three by five character set

Subject: [stella] An exhostive three by five character set
From: Jake Patterson <jpatters@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:00:30 -0500 (EST)
OK, I just got really really bored, and I was not feeling like coding
anything so I did up, by hand, (well, by Photoshop) an exhostive three by
five character set.  By exhostive, I mean every possible monochrome three
column by five row character, all 32768 of them.  Anyway, they are in 64
gif files here:

http://www.uvm.edu/~jpatters/threebyfive/

The gif files are each really small so you can blow them up with your
image viewer for clarity, and not end up with scroll bars.  The name of
each file corrisponds to the binary value of the last two rows of the
characters in that file.

I was thinking it would be cool to go through them all and painstakingly
categorize them by what type of object they look like, and make a nice
database.  Then I was thinking how much more usefull it would be to have
such a database for all five by five characters (anything larger would be
more or less intractable) and to do that it would be necessary to set up
some sort of distributed project.  If you put all rotations, mirrors, and
inverses of a particular character form into one "family" you would have
about one million five by five families.  I think it is doable.