Re: [stella] Poker Solitaire/Squares build 025

Subject: Re: [stella] Poker Solitaire/Squares build 025
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 09:34:54 +0100
Phantom of the Opcodes wrote:
> ...at this point, I've used all 128 bytes of RAM (126 for variables, with
> 2 left over for stack, which I actually do use). I'm also down to around
> 100 bytes of ROM space free. I was considering adding a couple of different
> game modes (sliding puzzle mode, with timed and/or move-limited variants),
> but unless I want to use bank-switching, I don't think it's going to happen..
> and even with 4 more K of ROM, I'd still be out of RAM.

>From my practice I know, that there a always ways to optimize code and
memory consumption. So if you would like to share your code with us, we
might give you some more hints.

Have you tried to share RAM? There are two ways to do so:
- identify temporary used variables, you might be able to reuse the
space of a temporary variable with another one elsewhere
- you could also share bits, so if you have variables that do not use
all bits (e.g. state variables), you can mix them into single bytes.

This might cost you some ROM, but you can use bank-switching and give
your game exactly the features you want.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |