Re: Re: [stella] StellaX PAL detection

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] StellaX PAL detection
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 11:30:55 -0800

2. That emulator is for cartridge developers. Therefore
it must not support SC Pitfall 2 and 20 different BS
schemes. It may, but it needs not. Generally I'm gonna
throw out all stuff that's making the thing unecessary
bloated like supporting single games like Pitfall 2 or
extra RAM or Mindlink controlers, or...stuff like
that...
<<

What do you really gain in not supporting all the bankswitching methods? I mean, if it's already been done in existing emulators, is it that much work to report it? And with 1ghz+ machines, does this really slow down the emulator much to include this support?

I think there is a growing need for a new 2600 emulator that is optimized for Win2K/XP. StellaX was a good start, but there is a lot of room for improvement. I was hoping that Brad's ActiveStella was going to be that emulator, but with him abandoning Stella, somebody else has to come around and update the code.

What I think especially needs to be done the most is to overhaul the controller handling so that it takes full advantage of DirectInput's HAL. Use DirectInput to autodetect available controllers and have a nice GUI that you can use to map controllers to virtual 2600 controllers. Then maybe if it's possible to hook up 4 trackballs to a PC through USB, it might be possible to play 4-player warlords on the PC.