Re: [stella] Synthcart

Subject: Re: [stella] Synthcart
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 16:25:49 -0600

Does the driver need screentime?

As is, I use one scanline to update the sound registers, but it can be removed or moved out of the screen draw without much consequence. The reason I put it there was to ensure smoothness of the tempo (since the measure/beat counter is updated twice per screen draw), but I've found that your ear really can't tell the difference.

Could one do a complete song with it?

This is my next project. It should be easy to turn it into a sequencer that can play patterns in a programmed order.

How big would driver + data for that song be?
Could that song somehow be used by homebrewers in their games?

I'm not sure how big the driver will be since it's encumbered with a bunch of other stuff that's specific to the Synthcart. But it should be pretty small. A beat/pattern currently takes up 36 bytes. I'm guessing the player and a song would cost you around 300-500 bytes.

On the Synthcart the beat/pattern player runs out of the upper 4k of the 8k. If you're willing to go 8k, you can easily add a ton of music to your game.

-Paul