Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection

Subject: Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 14:54:18 +0100
At 02.02.2002, 16:30, Roger Williams wrote:
> Call me a purist, but bins created
> to tank on a real 2600 aren't 2600 bins, even if you
> do have nearly-identical bins that don't tank.

Perhaps I misunderstand you now, but Manuels did mean to disable the
ROM working on a 2600, only working through a SuperCharger or a Cuttle
Cart. A regular burned cart will always work, the protection is relying
on documented(!) differences of the CC.

He only wants to force the people, who want to play the game on a real
2600, to buy the cart (or to have at least some extra work to burn it
themselves).

>> We know how to addtitionally hack-protect the game, in a
>> way we think that's so frustrating to remove, that
>> anybody attempting it will give up at some point.

> Well, that's a more reasonable goal.

And that's very easy to reach, because 99% of the people doing graphic
hacks are not able to program for the 2600 at all.

>> It'd be a 2600 in _every_ sense, but noone halfway
>> insane would go through the troubles to hack it to run
>> on the Cuttle Cart :-)

> Point taken, but that's not "perfect" copy protection.

Agreed, I've never seen any perfect copy protection. It's good enough if
the majority can beat it.

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |