Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection

Subject: Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection
From: Chad Schell <gamer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 15:07:35 -0800

It's Just Me Dept.:  If it was my project, I'd quietly drop the RAM
init in non-SC modes.  Really, the CC is an emulator itself; instead of
emulating the whole box, it emulates a cart for the box.  And apparently
does a bang-up job. Why let your reputation get hung up on the whims
of some guys who aren't even paying you?  Just a thought.

Unfortunately fixing this wuold require recalling all the Cuttle Carts, stripping the labels to open them, reprogramming the ROM, etc.

However, the patch to allow the games to play would be easily distributed. I have not done so out of respect for the authors. I figure if they're really hard bent on locking it out, so be it. I'll let the gaming community decide how acceptable that practice is.

I find this terribly ironic though. There have been past discussions on this list about how convenient it would be to distribute games as .bin files for use with the Supercharger. Lots of people always said that would never do because they want their games in good old cartridge format and .bin file just won't do. Now the Cuttle Cart exists, and suddenly everyone is supposed to have changed their minds and think that there's no need for a cart because a .bin file and the Cuttle Cart are just as good? Wow! I didn't realize the Cuttle Cart was that much better at playing 4K games than an easily modified Supercharger. So much better in fact that it's responsible for the poor sales of games released before it existed!

Man, I'm good. :-)

Chad

Chad Schell
gamer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Like the Atari 2600?  Check out the Cuttle Cart.
http://www.schells.com/cuttlecart.shtml