RE: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection

Subject: RE: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection
From: Chad Schell <gamer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2002 15:09:23 -0800

> The difference lies in the state of the processor flags and the 2600's
> internal RAM.  With a standard cart, when you plug it in and turn on the
> 2600, the RAM will be in a random state.

Are you sure about this? I think the RAM starts in a known state, zeroed,
most likely.

No, I'm not sure. SRAM starts with random values at power up, but the 2600 RAM being contained in the RIOT might have mechanisms to set it to a known state. I've never tested it.

Chad

Chad Schell
gamer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Like the Atari 2600?  Check out the Cuttle Cart.
http://www.schells.com/cuttlecart.shtml