Re: [stella] Sorting Algorithms.

Subject: Re: [stella] Sorting Algorithms.
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:59:02 +0100
Manuel wrote:
>Well, unfortunately, I'd have objects appear/disappear any
given time,
>any place. So a new enemy flying into the scene from top or
bottom,
>might (depending on the sort order) result in a worst-case
>Bubble Sort, from one frame to another!

If you have e.g. 1,2,3,4,5,6 and add 0 and 7 to the end, the
list is still sorted after one single iteration when the inner
loop is running backwards. I can't think of real worst-case
scenarios.

Perhaps we should search the Web for some theorie about sorting
and partially sorted lists. :-)

The stop-overhead is very marginal, because it's only checked
in the outer loop.

>Hm... even when doing Bubble Sort, I'd
>probably have to sort only links, otherwise
>I'd have to swap
>Y-Pos/X-Pos/Size/Color/Y-Movment & X-Movement
>values on every occuring swap :-)

Yes, that's a disadvantage.

>Well, nothing prevents me from using the links only
>temporary for the sorting, then doing all necessary
>swaps _once_ :-)

Agreed.

>BTW: Wouldn't you have to support worst-case sort too,
>when switching to the next level?

Depends on how you generate the random positions and/or if you
can handle worst-case in special situations.

Have fun!
Thomas