[stella] programming on PDAs

Subject: [stella] programming on PDAs
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 01:58:08 -0700
Has anyone had any success programming for the 2600 from a PDA such as a PocketPC? Anyone port DASM? There is a 2600 emulator for PocketPC but I don't know how well it runs on today's ~200mhz models. If they can reach 100% throughput then these might make good portable development environments, or just game players. Intel's XScale systems will be coming out soon with ~400mhz CPUs so I'm sure it's just a matter of time. But with current systems like the Audiovox Maestro on sale for less than $300, it's tempting to pick one up, as that's about what it would cost to build something like a portable VCS anyway-- but with all the added flexibility of a small computer on top. There is also the Linux-based Sharp Zaurus. Stella could probably be ported to it pretty easily.

Unlike the the lower oddball-resolution Gameboy Advance, PocketPC devices have a 240x320 res screen which is ideal for emulating classic raster videogames without the need for uneven pixel scaling. Of course, for systems with a horizontal display, you'd need to rotate the PDA 90'.

http://pocketvcs.emuunlim.com/

Glenn Saunders - Producer - Cyberpunks Entertainment Personal homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/1698 Cyberpunks Entertainment: http://cyberpunks.uni.cc