[stella] [POLL] Pause feature options for Stella

Subject: [stella] [POLL] Pause feature options for Stella
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:16:13 -0400
Okay, things are looking pretty good so far for my current project.

I have been looking at Piero's PCMSD11 source code and have changed it slightly for my needs. Thanks to Thomas I have blacked out the "comb" effect that Stella creates when you reuse players. I also have single line res (wasn't too hard). Now these may stay in but it will depend on the final release. I don't write the most efficient assembler code :)

I have also implemented a pause feature that works really good but I want to get some feedback from the list for ideas. I know Kool-aid Man uses the difficulty switches for a pause feature but I wanted to stay away from that. I want to reserve the difficulty switches for game difficulty or for a NTSC/PAL switch. Also the user could have the switch in the pause position before the game starts. Giving them the impression that the game has lock up. So I decided to use the Select switch as a pause switch. It will only work while the game is in play of course.

What do you guys think? Would this be okay or are there any other suggestions?

The pause feature is of course dependent upon the final release too. If I run out of bytes something has to be sacrificed :)

Dennis