Re: [stella] there is no spoon. the missile won't go left.

Subject: Re: [stella] there is no spoon. the missile won't go left.
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 25 Jun 2002 19:59:26 -0000
(I accidentally replied directly to Thomas with my second
 problem...but then I was able to solve my third on my own!
So I thought I'd put a summary of lessons learned here...)

Problem: HMOVE needs to be done right after WSYNC
Lesson Learned: read both paragraphs of description in Stella doc

Problem: The "leftmost" bits of HMP0 are the ones that matter,
         not the rightmost that you might expect from counting in binary
Lesson Learned: read the pointy sharp edged stuff at the back of
        the Stella doc, not just the nice big fluffy paragraphs

Problem: It is much more reasonable to an HMOVE at the top of each
        screen, not the top of each frickin' scanline
Lesson Learned: don't be such a dunderhead

H'ok!

Next general question...is there a document that talks about
sensible variable placement with the 6502?  I can make some
guesses based on what variable locations people use in their
own programs, and I know you want to keep it on the opposite
end from the stack (and probably not use the stack that much
anyway it seems)

Actually, with what I have now, I might be able to start the
first draft of my first of what will hopefully be a series of
tutorials, starting rather clean and sparse and boring and
then moving on up from there.

Hey, does anyone remember the "Dr. C. Wacko" books?
Looks like they had them for Atari, Commodore, and Apple.
I haven't seen one in forever, and I'm not sure if
I'm motivated enough to get one now, but I loved the
copy I had, it seemed like a great way of learning
languages.

(In any event, I don't think I'm up for that level of
cartooning, but I'll try to keep the tone light.)

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to
retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." --T. Lehrer