Re: [stella] Higher Resolution through Interlacing

Subject: Re: [stella] Higher Resolution through Interlacing
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:41:10 +0200
Glenn wrote::
> Somebody has to perfect this and post a proof of concept.

If some would prove this, the first I would do, is to make the Thrust playfield
lines thinner. :-)

> This could have great potential as a sprite multiplexer ala Video Chess or
> Polo or Stellar Track.  However, 1-field tall interlaced sprites would
> flicker.  Not due to the 2600, but due to the nature of interlaced
> video.  So in a way it's two steps forward and one step back.

I can't see why this should flicker more than other TV output with that high
vertical resolution.

> An even better advantage I can think of would be TIMING.
>
> If you wanted to do a normal sort of kernel, but used an interlaced
> display, you'd have an extra scanline available to work with.

Hm, I do not understand. Both frames show the same amount of scanlines
as they now do. While drawing the kernel, you wouldn't gain any time.

The only way to for extra time, is to make a striped kernel. Then you would
get one whole frame to work with. But still you wouldn't get any time for
better kernel graphics.

BTW: Any news from Death Derby? :-)

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

FreeMail in der Premiumversion! Mit mehr Speicher, mehr Leistung, mehr
Erlebnis und mehr Pramie. Jetzt unter http://club.web.de/?mc=021105