Re: [stella] Animating the Marbles

Subject: Re: [stella] Animating the Marbles
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:33:22 -0500

So you are having the same problems that had with Thrust: more ROM normally
requires some more RAM to utilize is effectively.

There's some truth to that, but really what's killing me is SIMULTANEOUS two player. I could easily free at least 15 bytes if I didn't let both players play at the same time.

The big problem I'm having right now with a huge ROM is that you can't access it all at once. I was thinking it would be easy to store all my levels in all the space I had left, but it gets tricky when you have to spread them over 4 banks. I've had to split them up in odd ways. One bank contains all the pointers to the screens, another contains all the control structures (which screen comes next etc.) and two other will contain the playfield data. I'm not used to thinking this way so I keep running into problems I didn't anticipate.

Can you post (me?) that fixed version, please? I would also like to see the complete
code, that helps optimizing.

Here it is. Pages and pages of sloppy code. ;o) I'm up to 5 banks now. If you assemble it, note that there are bugs right now since I'm in the process of changing the level structures, but the first level plays okay.

-Paul