Re: [stella] Debugger

Subject: Re: [stella] Debugger
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 6 Jul 2002 18:20:52 -0000
> At 12:03 PM 7/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >About the debugger for the Stella emulator, I've just got to spend
> >a few hours syncing up my patches (which are against Stella 1.1) with
> >the current CVS code (stella.sourceforge.net). Then it'll be time to
> >give the debugger a nicer user interface...
>
> I hope you know how important this thing is to 2600 homebrewers!

Yeah, it would be a huge boon.

> PCatari's debugger is good in principle but PCAtari in general runs like
> crap on Windows 2000/XP, which leaves developers like me with having to
> basically do everything via trial and error.  I tried running the PCAtari
> debugger but it's just too unstable to fiddle with.

> When I was actively working on Death Derby I would literally change one
> line of code at a time and see if it broke the kernel.  If it did break I
> really never knew exactly why because I couldn't single-step through the
> code.  I could put a BRK in and wait for the program to go black but that
> is about it.

My current technique is to change the screen background color...
ugly little yes/no/when diagnostic.

> I think that once Stella has a decent debugger (hopefully one that can
> somehow show where the scanline is in mid screen) that all us newbies that
> are not on DOS will be able to make a lot more progress in our games.

You imply there's a better debugger if you're running DOS??
What is it? I wonder how hard it would be to make a DOS boot
disk...

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the
 winter.  It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got
 about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies--
'God damn it, you've got to be kind.' " --Kurt Vonnegut