Re: [stella] ET is Pretty (slightly OT)

Subject: Re: [stella] ET is Pretty (slightly OT)
From: "Clay Halliwell" <clay.h@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:59:50 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 8:33 AM

> > It's thanks to displays like that that I once (mistakenly) believed that
the
> > 2600's background could have its width set, as with the player widths.
> >
> > Clay
>
> Well, the 2600 can't, but the Atari 400/800/XL/XE line of `home computers'
> can. I never found a use for it, though...

No it can't. Not in the same way I was talking about.

The ANTIC chip let you select a wide/normal/narrow playfield, but that set
the actual amount of data that was displayed, not the width of the pixels.
And the use of the wide playfield was to create horizontally overscanned
displays (to vertically overscan, you just had to get rid of the "blank"
entries in the display list).

Clay