Re: [stella] Re: vcs.h

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: vcs.h
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 11 Jul 2002 11:52:03 -0000
[snip]
> The Stella Programmer's Guide dates from 1979, and clearly lists names for a
> majority of the registers.  By the above rules, those names should take
> absolute priority over all others in use.  We will all understand them, and
> we should all use them.  Registers which are not defined in that document,
[...]
> I was given a lot of help by the people on this list.  In return, I will be
> delighted to help others where I can.  But, and here's the rub, I expect to
> have certain standards in place (..."by which people are able to communicate
> and understand each other without having first to learn the
> terminology...").  If somebody submits code and asks for help - and that
> code does NOT adhere to our commonly used and/or agreed standards - then I
> am much much less likely to help.
>
> Perhaps we should form a [stella] list sanctioned "official" vcs.h register
> naming committee.  I do not believe embedding VCS.H inside your source is a
> good way to go - it presupposes a single source file, which is not always
> the case.  If we had a standard [stella] VCS.H then I would use it - even if
> some of the names weren't the ones I was used to.

I'm definately in favor of the status quo (in terms of programs usually including a standardish VCS.H--not the status quo of not having a definitive
standard for that file.)  Ideally this effort to make a canonical VCS.H
should pick up where the last one left off...currently I'm a bit swamped
time wise, but if someone was up to checking out the archives, I'd
support them (might even put in a plug for the canonical VCS.H in
"2600 101", explaining the value of coding against a single standard.)

I remember grabbing an incorrect VCS.H early on, one that didn't have
INTIM.

I (somewhat) humbly submit that once we have a canonical version
most people are happy with, the Dig should remove or at least *clearly*
listed there and all given equal weight is counter-productive...
(at very most we should have two, one fully annotated and one minimal,
but I think it would be fine to just have the one fully annotated,
since the file ain't *that* big, and you don't have to look at the
comments once the vcs.h is sitting in the directory.)

"Whatcha doin'?"  "Looking for frogs."
"How come?"   "I must obey the inscrutable exhortatons of my soul."
"Ah. But of course." "My mandate also includes weird bugs."
   --Hobbes and Calvin