[stella] Zork

Subject: [stella] Zork
From: Paul Slocum <paul-stella@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:33:48 -0500

YEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!!  We must have Zork!  But it would need a keyboard,
and I haven't gotten to that yet.  Zelda would be a lot harder to code,
but it wouldn't need extra peripherals.  Or maybe it...no, it wouldn't.
I ofter forget about the console switches.  :)

I've looked into it a bit and I think Zork might be feasible. I think you could display about 250 useable characters on the screen using the 6 digit score routine. Although I'm a little bit worried about fitting it in 128K. Just the DAT file is 90K.

I think that a decent interface could be done with the keypad controllers. You just put a T9-ish cellphone word recognition program on the left keypad, and keys for the most common commands on the right keypad like "INVENTORY" "TAKE" "USE" "NORTH" etc. With a little practice, I got to where I could type pretty fast on my cell phone.

-Paul