Re: [stella] Euchre: light on the horizon

Subject: Re: [stella] Euchre: light on the horizon
From: zu03776 <zu03776@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:53:28 -0500
On Monday, July 15, 2002, at 07:08 PM, Erik Eid wrote:

Can I do all this with 130 bytes left? We'll see.

Anyhow, please enjoy the game now that it is playable, and let me know if you
see it violate any rules or make really strange decisions.

From the user interface standpoint, it would be nice if your cards would scroll up in the list when you play one, or that the blue bar would land on the first card available in your hand.

Have you thought about expanding the green background above and below the trick display? It might help give a playing at a table feel.

Did you program a minimum delay for the computer opponents to play their cards? For the situation where everyone has only one card left, a shorter delay may be appropriate. Myself, I know they're computer opponents and they can all play their cards in the same frame; but the delay does make the game flow more like playing with people.

Another delay note -- the game delays between the person on the right playing before I can select a card, and there's no delay between my play of a card and the person on the left playing. Shouldn't that be opposite?

Every time I select A from the P U A menu, my partner doesn't play, and I get beat. Is this correct? :)

If you have a byte of RAM left, you could program a sound subroutine to call every frame, and the value of the byte to determine what effect to play. The upper three bits could determine effect, and lower five bits for number of frames (left) to play effect. That could be a buzz for 'wrong card', a plink for 'card played', a plunk for 'you (good)/they (bad) took trick', a 'whiffle' for shuffling time, and silence for all the other times. That's five effects (counting silence) -- or if the frame count is zero, then play silence.