Re: [stella] Wolfenstein 5K

Subject: Re: [stella] Wolfenstein 5K
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 19 Jul 2002 18:27:47 -0000
Yes, really really amazing and clever.
I have to remember that XBM/javascript trick,
might be a quick and dirty way to dynamically generate web graphics.

Still, at least from this usually-high-level-programmer's point
of view, this kind of work only shares a certain bit of overlap with
the stuff we try on the atari.  I mean, he needed to be amazingly smart
about efficiently doing raycasting and some other things that would
help on something like the atari, but javascript+the ability to generate
any arbitrary bitmap is a lot more powerful than 6507 handholding the
TIA.

Still...makes ya wonder about trying to make DOOM 2600 a reality,
huh? I wonder if there would be anyway to simplify a playing field
so that you wouldn't have to do "full" raycasting, some kind of shortcut
you could make other than limiting turns to 90 degrees.

I think Battlezone stands as the ultimate 3D achievement on
the 2600.

"These poems will / convince more than one other / you were loved greatly
/ and should be again.  Will it be / the way a fallen star / tells the
ground about the night sky?" --Tess Galagher's "Kiss Without a body"