Re: [stella] Star Fire - Return of the Starfield ?!?

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire - Return of the Starfield ?!?
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 21:40:53 +0200
Hi Paul!

>>Now I'm thinking of alternatives. Does anybody have an
>>idea?

>I know it's kind of an established standard in vintage
video games to have
>stars flying towards you, but it's not very realistic.
The stars should
>really be stationary and just pan in different
directions when you steer
>the ship.

Hm... I've spent quite some time this year playing
almost all recent & uptodate space games.

Out of this list:

X-Wing Alliance
Freespace 2
Klingon Acadamey
Starlancer
Tachyon

Klingon Acadamey has the most statinonary stars and it's
the only game on the list that really sucks. Might be
some strange coincidence, but... :-)

(BTW: Though being Off-Topic: "Tachyon" is by far the
best pick out of these IMHO!)

>I don't know if this would help much or even if you'd
want to
>stray from the standard "flying starfield", but it's an
idea.  ;o)

Thanks. I'll think about it, really. I always write all
suggestions & ideas down to my design block. Right
before starting some longer car ride, I read through
this list of ideas and while driving I think about it.
- It works ;-)

>And I'd be interested to see your kernal source.

It's probably the worst copy & Paste mess I ever
produced, but you asked for it ;-)

The main display kernel loop is labled 'NextLine'.
Its drawing the crosshair, then there's two checks:

- wether to reposition a sprite
- wether to draw a sprite

After that it branches into one of three different 2LK
blocks according to the results of the checks.

I can explain more on demand, but it really is only a
WIP snapshot.

Greetings,
	Manuel